Your vehicle state inspection is due. You take your vehicle in and the tech that performed the inspection delivers unwanted news – your vehicle failed inspection. Why? Your vehicle has a fault code present (aka Diagnostic Trouble Code, DTC). The DTC that is appearing is a P0420.
What is a P0420 DTC?
P0420 that indicates a problem with the catalytic converter system in a vehicle. Specifically, the code indicates that the catalytic converter is not functioning properly or efficiently enough to meet the emissions standards set by the vehicle’s manufacturer.
What Should I do next?
If your vehicle has failed an emissions inspection due to a P0420 code, it’s important to have the issue diagnosed and repaired by a certified automotive technician as soon as possible. Here are some steps you can take:
- Have the vehicle diagnosed: Take your vehicle to a qualified mechanic or emissions testing facility to have the issue diagnosed. They will be able to identify the specific cause of the P0420 code and recommend the necessary repairs. Need help finding a trustworthy automotive repair facility – go to Openbay, they can help.
- Once at the repair facility, ask for a repair estimate: Once the issue has been diagnosed, obtain a repair estimate from the mechanic or repair facility. This will give you an idea of how much the repair will cost and what work will be involved.
- Enter the repair items on Openbay to get competitive estimates from repair facilities nearby.
- You can schedule the repair on Openbay at a time that is convenient to you.
- Have the vehicle retested: Once the repairs have been made, have the vehicle retested at an emissions testing facility to ensure that the issue has been resolved and that the vehicle meets the necessary emissions standards.
It’s important to address a P0420 code as soon as possible, as it can result in increased emissions and decreased fuel economy. Additionally, in some states, a vehicle with a malfunctioning catalytic converter may not pass emissions tests and could be subject to fines or other penalties.