As we enter the winter months, especially in the northern U.S. states, many of us are going through our winter checklist; home (long list), snow removal equipment, car readiness, pets, family clothing, winter toys, etc. Some of us may start the planning process for a winter trip somewhere warm while others may plan a fun-filled ski trip.
Regardless of how long a list, one item that remains a priority is getting your vehicle ready for winter. While there are many articles written about getting your vehicle ready for winter – this one focuses on the importance of snow tires (commonly referred to as winter tires). We have outlined 5 reasons why snow tires are important.
- Snow tires have more cuts in the tread which help grip the road through many types of road conditions. They have small slices in the tire called sipes that grab whatever they can on the road for an increase in grip on wet, icy, black ice, and snowy conditions. They contain circumferential channels or grooves around the tire which move out slush and snow during the drive.
- Snow tires are made with rubber compounds that contain gritty material such as volcanic ash or silicate which increases the ability to grip the road. So the rubber in between these cuts also adds to the traction in unfavorable or severe driving conditions.
- Snow tires are typically more narrow than summer tires. Narrow tires mean less contact with the road. Getting off the wider tires in the rear of the car, and changing into something with less of a footprint lends an advantage.
- Snow tires have improved greatly in performance over the last decade. They are not your grandparents’ squishy wobblies. They may not equal the performance of your summer tires, but you will still be able to make crisp turns and feel confident changing lanes.
- Snow tires keep passengers safe. With all of the advantages snow tires have over summer tires, the chances of an accident, especially a serious one, are far more remote.
If you have a set of winter tires, you already know swapping our summer tires for winter takes less than 30-minutes at a service center. There are many advantages and benefits of having a set of winter tires on your vehicle. So, take a few minutes to think of the benefits and head down to the tire shop or give Openbay a try – Openbay helps you with all your vehicle repair and maintenance needs to include a summer tire swap out.
Save upwards of 25% on
car repair and maintenance services with Openbay+